In Mathematics at City Academy, we aim to teach for understanding and know that the answer is only the beginning.
By allowing students to articulate their response and appreciate the journey to the answer, we aim to cultivate a deeper understanding of Mathematical content and develop their Mathematical cognitive abilities and its contextualised connections to the real world.
Through the process of enabling students to reason and communicate mathematically in the classroom, students and teachers should feel a part of a mathematical community, working together to apply mathematical concepts in order to solve real life problems and allow students to develop a deep mastery approach to their love of maths and allowing them to eventually become independent learners.
We want all our students to leave with the best possible outcomes, strategies, and analytical skills to tackle complex problems in an ever-changing world. Problem solving is a life skill that students will need to possess to be successful in their daily lives and in their chosen careers.
Furthermore, we want students to appreciate the role that mathematics plays in their lives and learn to value mathematics in today’s fast moving technical world. This will be achieved by the following:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
- T Parveen – Head of Mathematics Department
- F Siddique – Assistant Head of Mathematics (KS3)
- S Ullah – Teacher of Mathematics
- J Moncrieffe – Teacher of Mathematics
- I Yusif – Assistant Head of Mathematics
- F Derankhsani – Teacher of Mathematics